You still haven’t finished your holiday shopping? Haven’t managed to bag your own $200-plus Hatchimal? Believe us, a giant microbe is much more huggable — and cheaper. We’re there for you and for the vacci-nerds on your shopping list with this helpful and healthy gifting guide:
1. Giant microbes: You thought we were kidding, right? But these plush versions of hideous diseases are somehow so cute, especially the freckled measles critter. Believe us, so much more adorable than catching a vaccine-preventable disease
2. For those interested in an enjoyable vaccine-focused read, there are a number of truly terrific books on immunization that don't read like text books. Seth Mnookin’s “The Panic Virus,” for example, is a smart book told from a journalist's/parent's perspective on how unfounded fears about vaccines can overcome even a giant body of the best science. It's an enjoyable and oh-so-informative read you won't want to miss.
3. This suggestion is for only the most serious vacci-nerd in your life: It’s a shot! It’s a writing utensil! It’s a syringe pen! Might help the needle-shy person in your life get over it.
4. For the true bookworm: 512 pages of vaccination policy, science and recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's “Pink Book." Double points if it's autographed by William Atkinson.
5. Hot off the presses, our own biennial report, “A Time for Action: Recommendations for Improving Texas Immunization Rates.” It might not have hit the bestseller lists just yet, but believe us, you’re going to want a first-edition copy before these become collector’s items.
6. Take your cutie to the hottest action film of the year. Buy advance tickets to Hilleman: A perilous Quest to Save the World’s Children. It’s an outstanding and inspiring documentary about a man who is credited for saving millions of lives through the development of his vaccines.
7. Box up a “Hug Me, I’m Vaccinated" T-shirt for someone with whom you want to get very close. In festive holiday green, no less. Trust us, it works better than mistletoe.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: